Wednesday 13 August 2014

What I've Been Reading #1

1. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
2. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
3. The Body Book by Cameron Diaz


I was recommended the Outlander books by a friend in America and I have literally not been able to put them down. They follow the adventures of Claire Randall; a nurse in WWII who, whilst on a second honeymoon in Scotland, travels back to the 18th century and right into the midst of the Jacobite rebellion. She meets Jamie Fraser; a brave Scottish warrior and wanted man. And general adventure ensues. Being a self confessed fantasy fan (Terry Pratchett is my home boy) I wasn't too sure about these to start with but they are a brilliant read. Great mix of romance, history, drama and a bit of fantasy. I read the first two - a total of almost 1900 pages - in just over a week. I'm speeding through book three and already itching to start number four. So good. Go buy one and I dare you not to buy the rest.

I've wanted to read The Princess Bride for a while but seemed to forget this fact every time I wandered into my local Waterstones. Well at the beginning of the summer it was in the staff recommendations section so I picked it up. Now for anyone thinking "hang on! Didn't Morgenstern write that?!" He did. The version I have is the "good parts", abridged version, by the screenwriter of the cult classic film. It awesome. You get Goldman's little notes on the original version and why he chose to change it. It's like the flashbacks to the Grandfather in the film. It's still the classic story that everyone loves, it's just the bits you actually want to read. I love the film and the book didn't disappoint. 

Finally this summer, I picked up Cameron Diaz's Body Book. I'm not a major fitness, healthy person. I try to be…but then I see cake. But I was really intrigued by this book - obviously having a healthy day. What I've read of it so far, I've enjoyed. And I'm definitely drinking more water…mostly in the hope that I'll suddenly look like Cameron Diaz. Maybe not the best recommendation. However, I'm quite enjoying having it on the shelf to go back to when I suddenly feel the need to wear lycra and do energetic things.



I've just purchased Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. 
Is there anything you'd recommend? What have you been reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment